The Holy Father mentions other forms of remote preparation, other than
the Council and its great patrimony of teaching.
1. The activities of the popes to preserve world peace in the face of
grave threats to it.
WWI - Pope St. Pius X, Benedict XV
WWII - Pius XI and Pius XII
2. The tremendous social encyclicals and teachings of the popes since
Pope Leo XIII.
3. The papal messages for peace, begun on 1 January 1968 by Pope Paul
VI, who declared each January 1st to be a World Day of Peace.
4. The papal journeys of evangelization of the recent Popes, beginning
with the modest excursions of Pope John XXIII outside the Vatican and
continuing with the international travels of Pope Paul VI and Pope John
5. The various national Jubilee celebrations that have recently
a. Sixteen Hundred Fifty Years: From consecration of first Ethiopian
Bishop, St. Frumentius (340-1990)
b. Fifteen Hundred Years: From Baptism of Clovis, King of the Franks (496-1996)
c. Fourteen Hundred Years: From the mission of St. Augustine of
Canterbury to England (597-1997)
d. Millenniums: Poland (966-1966), Hungary (968-1968), Rus (988-1988)
e. Seventh Centenary: First Catholic mission to China (1294-1994)
f. Sixth Centenary: Lithuania (1387-1987)
g. Fifth Centenary: Congo/modern Angola (1491-1991), Americas
(1492-1992), arrival of Portuguese in India (1500-2000)
h. Fourth Centenary: See of Manila (1595-1995),
Japanese martyrs (1597-1997)
i. Centenary: arrival of missionaries in Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Central
African Republic, Burundi & Burkina Faso and several other African
nations which recently celebrated centenaries
6. The recent Holy Years, especially:
1975 - the most recent Jubilee of the Incarnation (Paul VI)
1983 - the Jubilee of the Redemption (1950 years)
1986-87 - the 2000th anniversary of the birth of the
Blessed Virgin Mary
7. A decade, the 1980s, that included the end of the Cold War, through the
"invisible hand of Providence at work with maternal care.."
8. The Year of the Family (1994) and the Letter to Families,
calling each family to be involved in the preparation for the Jubilee.