A term commonly used to designate the members
of the various foundations of religious, whether men or women, professing to observe the
Rule of St. Francis of Assisi in some one of its several forms. The aim of the present
article is to indicate briefly the origin and relationship of these different foundations.
It is customary to say that St. Francis founded three orders, as we read in the Office for
Tres ordines hic ordinat: primumque Fratrum
nominat Minorum: pauperumque fit Dominarum medius: sed Poenitentium tertius sexum capit
utrumque. (Brev. Rom. Serap., in Solem. S.P. Fran., ant. 3, ad Laudes)
These three orders -- the Friars Minor, the Poor Ladies or
Clares, and the Brothers and Sisters of Penance -- are generally referred to as the First,
Second, and Third Orders of St. Francis.
The existence of the Friars Minor or first order properly
dates from 1209, in which year St. Francis obtained from Innocent III and unwritten
approbation of the simple rule he had composed for the guidance of his first companions.
This rule has not come down to us in its original form; it was subsequently rewritten by
the saint and solemnly confirmed by Honorius III, 29 Nov., 1223 (Litt. "Solet
Annuere"). This second rule, as it is usually called, of the Friars Minor is the one
at present professed throughout the whole First Order of St. Francis.
The foundation of the Poor Ladies or second order may be said
to have been laid in 1212. In that year St. Clare (q.v.) who had besought St. Francis to
be allowed to embrace the new manner of life he had instituted, was established by him at
St. Damian's near Assisi, together with several other pious maidens had joined her. It is
erroneous to suppose that St. Francis ever drew up a formal rule for these Poor ladies and
no mention of such a document is found in any of the early authorities. The rule imposed
upon the Poor Ladies at St. Damian's about 1219 by Cardinal Ugolino, afterwards Gregory
IX, was recast by St. Clare towards the end of her life, with the assistance of Cardinal
Rinaldo, afterwards Alexander IV, and in this revised form was approved by Innocent IV, 9
Aug., 1253 (Litt. "Solet Annuere").
Tradition assigns the year 1221 as the date of the foundation
of the Brothers and Sisters of Penance, now known as tertiaries. This third order was
devised by St. Francis as a sort of middle state between the cloister and the world for
those who, wishing to follow in the saint's footsteps, were debarred by marriage or other
ties from entering either the first or second order. There has been some difference of
opinion as to how far the saint composed a rule for these tertiaries. It is generally
admitted, however, that the rule approved by Nicholas IV, 18 Aug., 1289 (Litt. "Supra
Montem") does not represent the original rule of the third order.
Some recent writers have tried to show that the third order,
as we now call it, was really the starting point of the whole Franciscan Order. They
assert that the Second and Third Orders of St. Francis were not added to the First, but
that the three branches, the Friars Minor, Poor ladies, and Brother and Sisters of
Penance, grew out of the lay confraternity of penance which was St. Francis's first and
original intention, and were separated from it into different groups by Cardinal Ugolino,
the protector of the order, during St. Francis's absence in the East (1219-21). This
interesting, if somewhat
arbitrary, theory is not without importance for the early history of all three orders, but
it is not yet sufficiently proven to preclude the more usual account given above,
according to which the Franciscan Order developed into three distinct branches, namely,
the first, second, and third orders, by process of addition and not by process of
division, and this is still the view generally received.
Coming next to the present organization of the Franciscan
Order, the Friars Minor, or first order, now comprises three separate bodies, namely: the
Friars Minor properly so called, or parent stem, founded, as has been said in 1209; the
Friars Minor Conventuals, and the Friars Minor Capuchins, both of which grew out of the
parent stem, and were constituted independent orders in 1517 and 1619 respectively.
All three orders profess the rule of the Friars Minor approved
by Honorius III in 1223, but each one has its particular constitutions and its own
minister general. The various lesser foundations of Franciscan friars following the rule
of the first order, which once enjoyed a separate or quasi-separate existence, are now
either extinct, like the Clareni, Coletani, and Celestines, or have become amalgamated
with the Friars Minor, as in the case of the Observants, Reformati, Recollects,
regards the Second Order, of Poor ladies, now commonly called Poor Clares, this order
includes all the different monasteries of cloistered nuns professing the Rule of St. Clare
approved by Innocent IV in 1253, whether they observe the same in all its original
strictness or according to the dispensations granted by Urvan IV, 18 Oct., 1263 (Litt.
"Beata Clara") or the constitutions drawn up by St. Colette (d. 1447) and
approved by Pius II, 18 March, 1458 (Litt. "Etsi"). The Sisters of the
Annunciation and the Conceptionists are in some sense offshoots of the second order, but
they now follow different rules from that of the Poor Ladies.
In connection with the Brothers and Sisters of Penance or
Third order of St. Francis, it is necessary to distinguish between the third order secular
and the third order regular. The third order secular was founded, as we have seen, by St.
Francis about 1221 and embraces devout persons of both sexes living in the world and
following a rule of life approved by Nicholas IV in 1289, and modified by Leo XIII, 30
May, 1883 (Constit. "Misericors"). It includes not only members who form part of
logical fraternities, but also isolated tertiaries, hermits, pilgrims, etc.. The
early history of the third order regular is uncertain and is susceptible of controversy.
Some attribute its foundation to St. Elizabeth of Hungary (q.v.) in 1228, others to
Blessed Angelina of Marsciano in 1395. The latter is said to have established at Foligno
the first Franciscan monastery of enclosed tertiary nuns in Italy. It is certain that
early in the fifteenth century tertiary communities of men and women existed in different
parts of Europe and that the Italian friars of the third order regular were recognized as
a mendicant order by the Holy See. Since about 1458 the latter body has been governed by
own minister general and its members take solemn vows.
In addition to this third order regular, properly so called,
and quite independently of it, a very large number of Franciscan tertiary congregations --
both of men and women -- have been founded, more especially since the beginning of the
nineteenth century. These new foundations have taken as a basis of their institutes a
special rule for members of the third order living in community approved by Leo X. 20
Jan., 1521 (Bull "Inter"). although this rule is a greatly modified by their
particular constitution which, for the rest, differ widely according to the end of each
foundation. These various
congregations of regular tertiaries are either autonomous or under episcopal jurisdiction,
and for the most part they are Franciscan in name only, not a few of them having abandoned
the habit and even the traditional cord of the order.
Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)