Re: Girl Power
Question from Karen on 2/6/2018:

Dear Ms Brown:

According to Girl Scouts G.I.R.L. power means Go-getter, Innovator, Risk-taker, Leader. I don't understand what is offensive in this, or why it is being distorted as a message promoting selfishness and sexuality, but I offer my own point of view regarding 'girl power'.

For millenia, females have been raised and taught that they are inferior to men, are chattel, property. They are to be submissive and accommodating, even servile. They have been treated as barter, kidnapped or sold into the sex trade and other bondage. They had no civil rights. They have been taught they are weak and incapable. They have been taught to accept artificial limitations imposed on them by a paternalistic culture.

For centuries battered wives were instructed to remain with abusive husbands. And with no rights, no support, what choice did they have.

They have been and continue to be paid less than men for the same work. They have been excluded from positions of power because they are female. They are harassed, humiliated, and assaulted with impunity in the home, in school, on the street, and in the workplace.

Because they have been taught to be submissive and demure, they have remained silent. And the abuse goes on, generation after generation. They are taught never to be their best if their best is better than a man's. They were taught to suppress their interests and ambitions. Their lot in life was limited to whatever their male overlords dictated.

But there has been a shift, finally. They are being taught that they are fully capable of being athletes, leaders, scientists. They are being taught that men do NOT have the right to abuse them. They are being taught they DO have the right to defend themselves and object to objectionable treatment that in the past they were expected to endure.

They are being taught that they have as much right to pursue their goals, aspirations, and dreams as men have. If you want to be an astronaut, doctor, teacher, welder, mother, musician, farmer, carpenter or soldier, go for it; don't let anyone tell you that you can't or shouldn't because you are a girl. If you want to be someone's handmaid, then do so because it's your choice, but not your only choice. And don't accept, quietly acquiesce to, anyone mistreating you.

That is what girl power means and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Dear Karen

The recent addition of the phrase "girl power" to the Girl Scouts lexicon is a clear sign of feminism at its worst.

Let us not forget that God created men and women to be different but also to be complimentary to each other. Neither is inferior. When this happens it is a result of human error and arrogance, not because men are in any way superior to women.

I wish the Girl Scouts, as well as other such groups, would focus more on the dignity of the human person and his or her unique identity before God and man rather than bogus political stereo types that in the end do not benefit anyone.

Judie