Abortion
Question from PJW on 12/4/2016:

Dear Judy; I am having trouble understanding how the Pope can give the priest the power to forgive a woman having an abortion. Abortion is always premediated, and knows exactly what she is agreeing to. Please explain, if you can. Sincerely, PJW

Dear PJW

How do you know that abortion is always premeditated? How do you know that the expectant mother KNOWS she is carrying a baby? You do not know these things.

First of all, nobody can say that abortion is a premeditated action and that the expectant mother intends to pay someone to have her baby killed. As a matter of fact, these are the types of questions the priest would ask a woman in the confessional were she to confess the sin of abortion in order to seek forgiveness.

Honestly, with so much ignorance in our society, I imagine many women would say that never knew.

Judie