Dryness and Depression
Question from Peggy Lindenthaler on 7/15/2016:

My husband and I both have many disabilities. My husband has type II Diabetes, stage 4 kidney disease, arthritis and depression. I too have type II Diabetes, depression, rheumatoid arthritis, stage 3 kidney disease,spinal stenosis, fibromyalgia, and three herniated discs in my lower back. I also have constant headaches due to the spinal stenosis. We don't get to mass but have to watch it at home. But we don't get to receive the Holy Eucharist. I think my husband may be losing his faith because of all of this, plus we've both lost our parents, I lost mine in 2011 and 2013, and my only sister in 2010. My prayer life is so dry, I don't even know what to pray anymore. I don't feel like the Lord hears me because I may have done something wrong. I go to confession, but I don't feel better. What is wrong with us, and how can I become spiritually strong and close to the Lord so my husband will regin his faith?

Sincerely in Christ, Peggy Lindenthaler

Answer by David Gregson on 11/7/2016:

Lo, there He hangs, ashened figure -- pinioned to the wood.

God grant that I might love him -- even as I should.

I draw a little closer -- to touch the face divine.

And then He leans to whisper -- "Oh foolish child of mine.

If now I should embrace you -- my hands would stain you red.

And if I leaned to kiss you -- the thorns would pierce your head."

'Twas then I learned in meekness -- that love demands a price.

'Twas then I knew that suffering -- is but the kiss of Christ.

— Caryll Houselander

This poem reminds us that the crosses we bear are not necessarily punishments, but intended to bring us closer to Him who bore all our crosses in His own.

No matter how dry your prayer life is, don't stop praying. Prayer is your spiritual life's breath. Don't stop breathing. You can offer your own dryness for the grace your husband needs.

For Holy Communion, call your parish, wherever you go for Confession, and ask for Communion to be brought to you.