marriage
Question from PJ on 10/19/2015:

Dear Father,

I think you misunderstood my question. I know what annulment generally means and the impediments that would invalidate a marriage. However, is a marriage invalid when both parties are unaware of the impediment that exists and the Church does not recognize its invalidity? And likewise, is a marriage valid even if the Church errs and declares it to be null and void?

Dear PJ,

Today many people think they are married even when they make up their minds that they would avoid having children. In reality they are not married even if they say they are married. Now it could happen that the Church make a mistake and say that a marriage that is really valid is invalid. A Catholic would have to obey the ruling of the Church. This kind of obedience is a very hard thing. Ir ia like being crucified on a cross.