receiving one form of eurcharist
Question from Michele on 9/4/2016:

Can I receive only the precious blood without the eucharist? I sing in the choir during Saturday evening masses and sometimes the priest returns to the altar and doesn't wait to give bread to the choir so we take precious blood. Yesterday a woman told me we can't receive the precious blood without receiving eurcharistic bread. Please tell me when this practice changed and why. Thank you

Answer by Fr. Jay Toborowsky on 9/5/2016:

That woman was wrong. Both the Sacred Body and Precious Blood of the Lord is fully "The Eucharist": the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Jesus Christ. Just as you may receive the Sacred Host without receiving the Precious Blood, so too you may receive the Precious Blood without the Sacred Host.

There are, in fact, those with celiac disease (an allergy to gluten) who regularly receive only the Precious Blood.

Receiving Holy Communion under both species is not a "half + half = whole"; it's more like all = all = all.