A good life
Question from Hien Ho on 2/8/2018:

I am a Catholic, and I am taking a philosophy class. In a chapter about "The Use of Reason", after reading 'The Ethics by Baruch Spinoza, I discussed about how a person who can find happiness by having an intuitive knowledge of things. After reading my post, one of my classmates asked me several questions that I found difficult to answer her. Please help me with these questions: If someone does not find religion or a God, do they ever truly find happiness? How do they deal with the evils of the world in a positive way? How do they become good people to the people who are not good to them?

Dear Hien

I am not sure to whom you directed your question, as this is not really about my pro-life forum, but I think I can help you with the answers:

#1 - Someone who has not found faith, which is a gift from God, cannot truly experience happiness in a way that is everlasting and will carry him through his life no matter what happens. Faith makes the difference and Christ is the answer.

#2 Dealing with the evils of this world means confronting the devil with faith in the power of God who is love. Responding to evil with goodness, faith and persistence will prevail because evil crumbles in its wake. Each human being has a free will given to him by God; he has the ability to choose good or evil. When we choose good we choose the Lord and through Him we can overcome evil.

#3 We are told by Christ in the Gospels to love our enemies and to live our faith in a way that shows this love to others. As the Old Testament book of Leviticus Chapter 19 says

You will not harbor hatred for your brother. You will reprove your fellow-countryman firmly and thus avoid burdening yourself with a sin. You will not exact vengeance on, or bear any sort of grudge against, the members of your race, but will love your neighbor as yourself. I am Yahweh.

Hope these help!

Judie