Eucharist prayers
Question from Margaret Donahue on 2/26/2018:

How many Eucharist prayersare there?There are four in my book.Sometimes at some churches I hear others that are not familiar to me.

Margaret

Colin Donovan, STL of EWTN answers https://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/eucharistic_prayers.htm

At the present time there are 13 Eucharistic Prayers approved by Rome for use in the United States.

In the Sacramentary (altar missal) there are nine (9) Eucharistic Prayers. These include: · 4 universal Eucharistic Prayers (the Roman Canon and 3 others) · 3 Eucharistic Prayers for Masses with Children · 2 Eucharistic Prayers for Masses of Reconciliation

In a red booklet Eucharistic Prayer for Masses for Various Needs and Occasions (Catholic Book Publishing Co., 1996), there are 4 additional Eucharistic Prayers. These four are essentially one, called the Swiss Canon. This canon (in use for many years in Italy and elsewhere) has three variations, which for ease of use were printed separately. All 4 versions begin, "You are truly blessed, O God of holiness: you accompany us with love as we journey through life. Blessed too is your Son, Jesus Christ, who is present among us together." The variations are in the Preface and after the Consecration. The four are called: · The Church on the Way to Unity · God Guides the Church on the Way of Salvation · Jesus, Way to the Father · Jesus, the Compassion of God

Both the missal and the booklet (ISBN 089942-043-5) should be available from Catholic bookstores and supply houses.