Use of Alternative Medicine Methods
Question from LaLu on 10-18-2017:

As a nurse I've learned to incorporate eastern methods of medicine in my practice. Some of these methods include use of herbs, acupressure points. I found a book of reiki which I thought was just about using touch over certain body areas to help relieve/help with problems with those areas of the body. The thought never entered my mind that "spirits" are involved. How are "spirits" involved? I love God very much & would not want to do anything to offend Him. Thank you for your help.

Dear LaLu

Catholic Culture website has a complete article on Reiki, which includes these two paragraphs:

The problem with Reiki and healing touch is that it is based on beliefs peculiar to various forms of Hinduism and Buddhism which "posit the existence of a life energy (ki or kundalini) and interpret that energy as spiritual," which is not a Christian belief.

Christians believe that man is a union of body and soul, and that the soul is an essential form of the body not an energy force.

For the full article, see http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?recnum=8756