Is it mandatory to use NFP when miscarriage is certain?
Question from LAC on 3/16/2014:

Pregnancy is supposed to be risky at 45. For some individuals it's impossible even when they are not menopausical yet. Assume someone miscarried already, and it's risky to get pregnant again, in the sense that the chances to be able to successfully conceive at that age are next to zero, and doctors have said it is useless to try to get pregnant. According to them, miscarriage will happen again. What is the person to do? PLEASE NOTE this question is asked in good faith.

Dear LAC

I submitted your question to Dr. Anthony Dardano, MD and here is his response:

I can only respond to this generically because I do not know the underlying conditions which are in play here. Yes pregnancy at 45 is more risky mainly because the the risk of toxemia, hypertension and gestational diabetes is more common in the older woman. Miscarriage too is more common mainly because the hormonal support required for solid implantation of the fetus, is diminished and ovulation usually does not follow the cyclic pattern seen in the younger woman. In your specific case, you have not mentioned any distinct cause for the doctor's concern and the high probability of recurrent miscarriage.

As alluded to in your question, NFP is more difficult because of the unpredictability of the cycle at 45. I would therefore recommend using the over the counter ovulation predictor which signals periods of fertility from a morning sample of urine. Again, I was not sure from your question whether you were trying to conceive or not given your situation. This test kit can be morally used for either purpose and is in effect an aid to NFP.

My best advice would be to sincerely pray over this and then leave it up to God to give you what is best for you. My prayers are with you as well.

Anthony N Dardano, MD, FACOG, FACS