Re: Understanding od Divine Mercy
Question from Paul on 4/24/2014:

Hello Judy,

I understand that on Divine Mercy Sunday(meeting the requirements), one's sins are forgiven and punishment due to sins is expiated? But how does that apply to one in prison - one still suffers in prison? And even though repentant?

Paul

This quote is from Saint Faustina's Diary:

"On one occasion, I heard these words: My daughter, tell the whole world about My Inconceivable mercy. I desire that the Feast of Mercy be a refuge and shelter for all souls, and especially for poor sinners. On that day the very depths of My tender mercy are open. I pour out a whole ocean of graces upon those souls who approach the fount of My mercy. The soul that will go to Confession and receive Holy Communion shall obtain complete forgiveness of sins and punishment.* [our emphasis] On that day all the divine floodgates through which grace flow are opened. Let no soul fear to draw near to Me, even though its sins be as scarlet."

See the details explained on the EWTN web site:

http://www.ewtn.com/devotionals/mercy/feast.htm