Caritas of Birmingham -They FIred The FIrst Shot
Question from Anonymous on 12/27/2012:

Dear Dr. Geraghty,

On 10/28 someone asked what your thoughts were on the book They Fired the First Shot by a Friend of Medjugori Caritas of Birmingham. You said you hadn't heard of it and wondered if anyone else had. Colin Donovan stated on 8/2/05: "As for Caritas of Birmingham, the recent bishops of the Birmingham diocese (Boland and Foley) have done nothing to favor this site, and have forbid the celebration of Mass there (though not confessions). The position of Mother Angelica has always been to discourage people from going there. That is also EWTN's position." You also mentioned on 1/5/2011 that from what you have seen on the website, it seems to be a cult. I'm curious why you didn't discourage the book, understanding that even though you hadn't heard of it, you knew it's source. Have thoughts on Caritas changed? Many in my church are reading it and I also purchased it and am wondering if I should send it back. Thanks in advance for your response!

Dear Anon,

I do not know much about the question. That why I asked if anyone knew more about it. I doubt if Colin or Mother Angelica have changed the position they had. If you can send the book back, then send it back. At any rate, the Bishop has not changed his position. He has the final say in this matter.