catholics who lost faith, civil marriage
Question from JuliusPeter on 6/4/2014:

Hello, I know there is no Catholic doctrine on how to handle this situation. Just interested in your view.

Two 30+ yr old baptized catholics w/ catholic education grade school to college have been living together for many years are now planning to have a civil marriage. It has been stated that they no longer adhere to the Catholic Faith and that they dont see themselves as Catholic. This is a loss of Catholic Faith in my mind. I am the Godparent of one of the kids. So.. (1) Do I attend the wedding? (2) If I decide to go, what do I say to them & parents in the receiving line? (3) I am considering saying something in private to my Godchild. Can you give a couple of hints on how to approach this?

thanks for your time and response.

Dear Julius,

You have mentioned a situation that is fairly common today. The couple seem to lost their Catholic faith. They are living in rebellion against the Church. They continue their rebellion by contracting a civil marriage. As the Godfather to one of the kids you can explain to him or her that while you love them dearly, you cannot condone or bless their actions. They are headed for a troubled life. While they may not appreciate your words now, they may someday. You can do the same for their parents. To strand up for the Church is to stand up for their souls. Not many are willing to do that for fear of giving offense, Whatever your your feelings, you should tell the truth in as loving a way as possible. They need the truth because they have souls to be saved. If none of their elders speaks up, they may just slide along on a slippery slope.