Civil Marriage
Question from BK on 1/23/2014:

We married in a civil ceremony because of the 90 day immigration deadline, health issues, and deteriorating conditions in her home country. We are living a chaste relationship until we can have a church wedding. We do not sleep in the same room. Our pastor said we cannot receive the sacraments until our marriage is valid. Another priest told me my pastor is wrong and to go to a different parish. Who is right?

Dear BK,

Your Pastor is right. You cannot go to Holy Communion until your marriage is validated but you can certainly go to mass together and pray together. In fact, you both should go to mass. When the marriage is validated, you can certainly sleep together and receive Holy Communion together.