marrying a protestant who is willing tobe a catholic but opposed by family
Question from patrick paswett on 1/19/2014:

I am33 yrs old and am in a clean relationship(4 years now) with a Presbyterian girl(32 yrs old) who is very commited to the Lord. She is willing to become a catholic but her mother would never allow and she cant go against her mother though has committed herself to marry me only.I have sought dispensation from the parish priest but he has not given me any positive answers.What do I do?I would love to be married in the catholic church only but if the church allows I can marry in the Presbyterian church and when circumstances change we are planning to always come back to the catholic church and bring up our children in the catholic church. Should I seek the Pope's intervention in this? If yes, how do I do that? At the same time if the catholic church does not allow we have decided to remain single for our lifetime. Please help us as I am not able to find a fatherly priest who would guide us with a fatherly nature. Thank you.

Dear Patrick,

The first question is whether you have been married? If you have not, then you would need a dispensation from the pastor or bishop to marry a Protestant. That is usually given. See the pastor about that. He would want to meet and talk with you. Get that matter straightened out first. Then you will be ready to face further complications, which you will certainly have. In the meantime read up on what Catholic marriage is all about. It's not just about rules. It's about a man and a woman willing to live their life together till death do them part so that in their sexual act of loving each other they will be open to having a family. Take one step at a time.