Re: Suffering
Question from Pamela on 3/17/2014:

I struggle with interior suffering with Erin, and one way I have to manage it is to avoid too much curiosity in the problems of others and reading or watching the news. Most of it is depressing and stimulates a sense of powerlessness in those who seem to be overly sensitive and vulnerable. We have no power over the evil that seems to be running rampant in our world right now, but we certainly are useless if we allow the world and what is happening to hinder our serenity and joy. Jesus is the only one who can give us peace we desire. A wise priest once told me to ponder Mary's example when she saw her Son being crucified. She looked beyond the Cross and saw the triumph. She continues to pray for us, her children, and asks us to do the same for others. We have to implore the Holy Spirit to help us daily with our struggles and ask Him to help us see beyond the suffering and problems. All suffering (ours and others) can be united to the Passion of Our Lord for the salvation of souls. Going to Mass often and praying before the Blessed Sacrament is very beneficial and healing.

Working with her doctor to manage her meds is an important factor. That and re-directing her activities from focusing on the things we can not all by ourselves change to the things we can and wisdom to know the difference would be a start to Erin's road to serenity and sense of usefulness.

Dear Pamela,

Thank you for your beautiful note.