RE: Fasting and Communion
Question from L.R. on 6/8/2014:

As to regard to having Communion at 59 minutes instead of EXACTLY one hour.

As long as it wasn't deliberate and intentional, I'm pretty sure God doesn't have some grand clock to go by and you will be eternally punished just because you have Communion ONE MINUTE before the one hour fast . . . as long as you didn't purposely mean to.

It seems almost nickel and diming it to have Communion LESS THAN one hour IF it's only a few seconds difference.

L.R.--

Thank you for your opinion. The point is that this person knew that the hour-long fast had not been satisfied, had options for satisfying the fasting obligation (which I explained), and chose to receive Communion anyway. While I took care to assure him that it likely was not a mortal sin "if you sincerely did the best you could under the circumstances," I did suggest confession since the Church suggests confession for venial sins.

No, "God doesn't have some grand clock to go by," but he does know the choices we make, and knows whether those choices are made for love of him, or are instead made for our own personal convenience or desire to avoid embarrassment. In other words, it is not the exact timing that counts but whether the choice made is one that is made out of love for God or out of some form of self-interest.