Marylike standards
Question from Laura on 7/25/2014:

Recently, I came across an article that stated St. Padre Pio, when receiving confessions, turned away women who wore dresses/skirts shorter than eight inches below the knee. I found another article that discussed the Marylike Standards for Modesty. I was shocked by what it said and was surprised that I had never heard anything about it since I am a practicing Catholic. I already know what it says about modesty in the Catholic Catechism. I really want to know if any or all of these are official teachings of the Church.

Laura--

Regarding St. Padre Pio, does it really seem likely that a priest behind a confessional grille (which was how confessions were ordinarily given in Padre Pio's day) is going to be able to measure the length of a woman's skirt? Do you think it would be modest of him to be looking at a woman's legs and considering whether or not she should be "allowed" to confess her sins based on the length of her skirt? Personally, I think the answers to those questions should be "No." As for the rest of your question, please see the link below.

Recommended reading:

The Blessed Virgin's Guide to Catholic Modesty by Michelle Arnold