Lenten season
Question from Kathy on 3/6/2014:

If Lent is a time for fasting and sacrifice, please tell me why we have these all-you-can-eat fish dinners with fries, side dishes, desserts, and even beer?! What's the merit in abstaining from meat and then pigging out on all the fish you can eat?

Kathy--

Parishes usually hold fish dinners as fundraisers during Lent and as a way to encourage the parish community to come together. Providing a lot of food aids in both those efforts. I would imagine that many people do not "pig out" but eat moderately from what is available.

In any case, if an individual Catholic does "pig out," then he might consider whether he is acting in accord with the spirit of the season. But that is a matter for his own conscience, and his actions should not be imputed to everyone else taking part in the parish fish fry.