Fasting and Communion
Question from Anon on 5/30/2014:

I received Communion at about the 59-minute mark of my one-hour fast (yes, this really happened, not just a theoretical question). Did I break my fast, thus committing a mortal sin? I meant to check the time before going up, but it slipped my mind until I was already in the Communion line.

Anon--

If you knew that you had not yet fasted for an hour while waiting in the Communion line, you could have stepped out of line and returned to your seat. You could also have waited until everyone had gone up for Communion and then re-entered the line behind the last few communicants waiting to receive. By that time, it is likely you'd have satisfied the hour fast.

In any event, if you sincerely did the best you could under the circumstances, you did not commit a mortal sin. But I recommend mentioning it (and the mitigating circumstances) the next time you go to confession.