RE: Inappropriate gifts
Question from Nan on 1/8/2013:

I have had tarot cards given to me once and decided to tell my friend that my Catholic faith forbids the use of such cards. I thought it was much better to politely inform my friend of the danger of such cards. It didn't harm our friendship and we are still friends. I hope others will find the courage to do the same.

Nan--

If that worked for you, fine. But not every person takes well to being told that an innocently intended gift meant to please the recipient has caused offense. Unless you know for certain that a person will receive such news well, it might be better to err on the side of caution and dispose of the inappropriate gift discreetly in the manner I described and trust that God will provide other, more appropriate opportunities to evangelize this person on the dangers of the occult.