Sponsor for First Communion
Question from Teresa on 2/19/2014:

My grandson is making his First Communion in May and would like to have a sponsor. Is it okay?

Teresa--

There is no need for a sponsor for First Communion, and (to the best of my knowledge) no provision in Church law that the first reception of Communion requires one. Either your grandson is confusing this sacrament with baptism and confirmation (which require sponsors); or he is being influenced by certain cultural trends that treat sacraments as occasions for begging gifts from friends and relatives (which should be strongly and firmly discouraged).