Girl Scout cookies
Question from Lena on 2/13/2014:

People keep telling me that it is wrong to buy Girl Scout cookies because the Girl Scouts work with Planned Parenthood. I've heard that there is now a boycott going of Girl Scout cookies and that pro-lifers need to join it. Is this true? Do I really have to boycott Girl Scout cookies?

Lena--

Joining a boycott is a personal choice and is not a moral imperative, no matter how stridently you are urged to do so by fellow pro-lifers. In fact, I worry about how the irresponsible rhetoric of some pro-life leaders is manipulative of human consciences. If a boycott is presented as one legitimate option for seeking social justice among many other legitimate options, that is fine. But if people are being told that the only way to prove they are pro-life is to join a boycott (and that they are not really pro-life if they decline to do so), then that is a serious problem and reflects poorly on the prudence of those pro-life leaders who engage in such manipulative rhetoric.

Recommended reading:

Why Pro-Lifers Lose Battles by Michelle Arnold