Wife smoking
Question from T.J. on 8/22/2014:

My wife smokes a pack of cigarettes a week. I am worried about her health. She is not working outside of the home, so keeps asking me for cigarette money. What should I do?

T.J.--

Your wife is a grown woman, who is capable of making her own choices. By virtue of your marriage, the money the two of you have does not belong to you personally, even if you are the one who works outside the home. A pack of cigarettes a week works out to about $5 per week for two to three cigarettes per day. Having known many smokers in my lifetime, it seems to me that your wife's smoking is not excessive (at least insofar as we only consider monetary cost for the cigarettes).

That said, I completely understand that you are concerned for your wife's health. I can only recommend that you express your concerns, and ask that, if she decides to continue smoking, she do what she can to avoid exposing others to secondhand smoke (e.g., smoking outside).