How to forgive yourself
Question from Linda on 6/19/2014:

I don't know how to forgive myself, so I can forgive others?

Linda--

We can't forgive ourselves. Only those who have been injured can forgive us, namely God and neighbor. For those persons we have hurt, we must ask their forgiveness. With God, venial sin can be forgiven in a devout reception of the Eucharist (although sacramental confession is recommended by the Church) and mortal sin must be forgiven in sacramental confession.

Once forgiven by others by the means through which we are to seek forgiveness for the sin committed, our obligation is then to accept the gift of that forgiveness. To deliberately choose not to accept (or to reject) forgiveness from God and neighbor is to give in to a form of despair.