tubal ligation
Question from mlb on 7/3/2013:

After years of adenomyopathy and fibroids, I had an endometrial ablation. At the recommendation of my OBGYN, I also had a tubal ligation for medical health. I am sorry to say that I never consciously considered the spritual side of it being birth control. Am I in a state of mortal sin? What can you suggest?

Dear MLB

I shared your question with Dr Anthony Dardano and this is his response:

Endometrial ablation, by various surgical methods, destroys the lining of the uterus, (endometrium) and has been used to control heavy menses without resorting to hysterectomy. In the process however ovulation goes on as usual. Should conception occur, there is no lining for the fertilized egg to implant in and the pregnancy is lost. This would result in a state of repeated pregnancy loss. I for this reason cannot recommend the procedure in the fertile, sexually active woman. Your OB/GYN suggested the tubal ligation in order to prevent the chronic pregnancy loss which would follow. The sterilization procedure (tubal ligation) would not be permitted as part of the ablation because the direct intent of the procedure would be to prevent pregnancy.

However in your case, you were not fully informed at the time of the procedure and therefore the overall culpability is diminished. At this point what is done is done and cannot be undone. My best advice would be to make a sincere confession mentioning all the details you have mentioned above. Our loving God is a forgiving God. He understands your situation and will see you through this-all you have to do is ask.

May God bless you.

Anthony N Dardano, MD, FACOG, FACS