Condom use for non-contraceptive purpose
Question from Anonymous on 2/8/2014:

I recently had a second biopsy of the prostate. Thank God it was negative for cancer. However, based upon experience from the first biopsy, my wife and I would like to use condoms for a few times after the biopsy because of blood in ejaculate caused by the biopsy procedure. My wife had a hysterectomy many years ago due to uterine fibroids and so there is no contraceptive intent or possibility. Is use of condoms for hygienic purpose OK in this case?

Dear Anonymous

I asked Anthony Dardano, MD to respond, and here is his answer to you

In the circumstance described here the use of a condom would be morally neutral with no sin attached. There is no intent to contracept and physiologically because of the hysterectomy there is no possibility of a conception anyway. Therefore, once your urologist has cleared you, a condom may be worn in this case to prevent infection.

Anthony N Dardano, MD, FACS, FACOG