relationships
Question from PatGK on 12/20/2013:

I was wondering, is there a distinction made by the Catholic Church, between having a sexual relationship, outside of marriage, between a heterosexual couple; and having a sexual relationship between a homosexual couple? Are they equal in how serious an offense they are to God? It appears to me that they are both serious sins, with hell being the likely destination for both. However the main concern of the Church is that homosexuals don’t get married. Is this how you see it? Thank you PatGK

Dear Pat,

All sexual acts outside of marriage are seriously sinful. There are, however, degrees of sinfulness. Dante distinguished between the seven levels of hell. The reason why the Church today stresses particularly the sin of homosexual acts because it is becoming more common, more public, and more fashionable. Indeed it is being made level in some states and may eventually be legal in all states. Thus same sex marriage is a special danger to regular marriage, which is having many difficulties of its own. If the practice of tradition marriage continues, the nation is doomed no matter how much economic and military power it has.