Re: Mary, the mother of Jesus
Question from David McMahon on 1/1/2014:

Dear Dr. Geraghty, Although I worship in a different Christian church, I appreciate your work on this forum, and wish you a blessed New Year. The title "Mother of God" was bestowed by the Church, and is misleading to me. Mary is a creation of God, set apart for the most important part of His plan of salvation. She is indeed, by her cooperation in this plan, to be revered--but not worshipped. God is timeless, and chose Mary to be the mother of His Son, before creation as we know it began.

Dear David,

You are right. Mary is not to be worshiped because she is creature. Only Christ is to a worshipped because, although a man, a creature, he is also God. The Church does not teach the worship of Mary. She teaches us to honor her and pray to her for her intercession with Christ. She has a special relation to Christ because she is his mother. Since Christ is also God, she is the Mother of God. Even Martin Luther did this.