Re: Confession
Question from AY on 11/20/2012:

Dear Fr. Echert, I am responding to my previous post.

Yes, I can go to another church for confession. My confession is very brief, less than 4 minutes, when I make my confession with this priest. This priest only wants to hear the sins that we commit and he does not want us to elaborate when we mention them. I follow what he wants in the confessional. So every time my confession is very brief.

He said that I may be scrupulous but I tried to explain to him that I just want to stay closer to Jesus. I want to love Jesus more and more. By going to confession each week helps me grow in the love of God and remind me that I am a sinner. I need God's help. What is wrong with that? Now, I feel like going to confession is something I should not be doing and I don't need to go to confession. That's not good that I have these thoughts as this may be a temptation.

What he said to me just discourage me from going to confession.

Fr. Echert, please tell me what to do in order to resume my desire to go to confession as before.

Thank you and God bless you.

Honestly, you will not likely be able to change the negative dynamic that has developed with this particular priest. Just as I suggest to some folks that they may need to change where they attend Mass, for just concerns, in this case I suggest a different priest. Once found it should work itself out and you should be fine.

God bless

father Echert