Catholic Actors
Question from John on 12/26/2002:

How many people involved in the making of "Lord of the Rings" are actually Catholic and understood the symbolism?

Dear John,

I do not know how many of the actors were Catholic. But I do know that Tolkein was not interested in creating symbols as C.S.Lewis was. Tolkein intended to create another world and put a good story in it. One then should study the characters and the plot for its own inherent interest rather than trying to pick out Catholic symbols in it. Yet one can see certain analogies between Christian practice and and the story if one is familiar with these practices. But that is not necessary in order to enjoy the story.