Bibles
Question from tammi on 11/13/2012:

Hi,

I know you frequently get asked about bibles, but I cant seem to find any answers on a couple of specific bibles.

I grew up Lutheran and converted to Catholic, I also work in a Christian Bookstore and have many different versions of the bible, which has lead me to alot of confusion.

I have come down to 2 versions I mainly use, Douay Rhiems and the NRSV-CE. I really like the Douay-Rhiems but the Psalms numbering is different, this past Sundays First Reading 1 Kings 17:10-16 was in the Douay-Rhiems 3 Kings 17:10-17, which is confusing. I like the NRSV-CE it is easier to understand, is this approved version? Also, I have reading comprehension problems, so sometimes when I dont understand what I am reading I will use a New Living Translation version which is Protestant is this okay?

Thank You, Tammi

I am wondering if you mean the RSV-CE (Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition). I definitely recommend the RSV-CE but am not keen on the NRSV series. The DR is also excellent and was the English standard for four hundred years or so. Differences in numbering and titles generally come from the fact that the DR was translated from the ancient Latin Vulgate edition of St. Jerome whereas the RSV-CE was translated from original language manuscripts, Hebrew and Greek. So glad you are now Catholic and using the two best versions available to Catholic readers.

Thanks, Tammi