Vote
Question from Rita on 11/18/2012:

You had answered that a vote for a pro-abortion candidate was a sin. Was it a mortal sin? A lot of Catholics are in trouble. I knew Romney was pro-life, except in rape case. I voted for him to have God back in our country, and no more radical changes and he was a Christian. Was that still a sin?

Dear Rita

Thanks for giving me the chance to respond to this difficult question.

First, neither candidate representing a major political party was pro-life, so to be perfectly honest, a vote for either man is questionable.

However there is an enormous difference between the abortion advocacy embraced by Obama and the skittish position taken by Romney. For my money, you did the right thing. I do not say that because Romney was the perfect candidate, mind you, but because I believe Obama is evil.