wHY ISN'T MURDER AN EXCOMMUNICABLE OFFENSE/SIN
Question from FP on 3/21/2013:

I SEE THIS HYPOCRISY AMONG CATHOLICS WHO ARE PRO-LIFE (ANTI ABORTION) AND YET CLAMOUR FOR THE DEATH SENTENCE. TAKING OF ANOTHER'S LIFE OTHER THAN IN SELF DEFENSE (NOT STAND YOUR GROUND IN FLORIDA) IS JUST A GRAVE AS AN ABORTION. WHY AREN'T MURDERERS EXCOMMUNICATED? NEXT, WHY AREN'T MEN WHO MASTURBATE, LIKEWISE NOT EXCOMMUNICATED WHEN THE SPERM IS WASTED? I SEE SO MANY ISSUES HERE. THE HARSHNESS OF EXCOMMUNICATION IS NOT THE REAL INTENT OF JESUS CHRIST WHO IS LOVING, KIND, AND MOST OF ALL FORGIVING. I SEE EXCOMMUNICATION AS A CHURCH THING AND REQUIRES SUCH A VERY FORMAL METHOD TO SEEK RECONCILIATION OTHER THAN ORDINARY RECONCILIATION. I AGREE THAT ABORTION AND MURDER ARE VERY GRAVE SINS WHEN WE DENY THE RIGHT OF GOD'S CHILDREN TO LIVE.

SO WHY ISN'T CIVIL DEATH PENALTY, NOT CONDEMNED AT OUR PULPITS AS PART AND PARCEL OF THE PRO-LIFE SERMON? I WOULD NOT THINK ONE POLITICIAN WOULD MEET OUR STANDARDS FOR ENSURING THE RIGHT TO LIFE AND SHOULD BE ALL HELD ACCOUNTABLE. SO WHO PROFESSES THE THE LESSER OF THE EVILS - ABORTION OR DEATH PENALTY ADVOCATES - IN MY OPINION - NONE.

Dear FP

Abortion is defined by the Church as an intrinsically evil act.

On the other hand, the death penalty is allowed and there is an ongoing debate about whether or not it should be legal. To read the facts about the death penalty see http://www.catholic.com/magazine/articles/did-the-church-change-its- teaching-on-the-death-penalty