Cults
Question from Anonymous on 4/16/2013:

I have been noticing the word cult showing up on the EWTN website a lot. Frequently I refer to the Devotional section for prayers I can not remember. So I am wondering if EWTN's website has been hacked or if I misunderstand the whole meaning of the word cult. I have never heard of it being used in any Marian Devotional. Here is the excerpt from the Consecration to Mary: "Finally, we promise thee, O glorious Mother of God and loving Mother of men, to devote ourselves whole-heartedly to the service of thy blessed cult, in order to hasten and assure, through the sovereignty of thine Immaculate Heart, the coming of the kingdom of the Sacred Heart of thine adorable Son, in our own hearts and in those of all ..." Thank you for your time.

Dear Anon,

EWTN is following traditional usuage in speaking of the cult of the Immaculate Conception or the Sacred Heart. But the word "cult" today carries a bad meaning. So don't worry about EWTN being hacked into.