Civi Unions
Question from dm on 4/22/2013:

Dear Judy, I respect your opinion so I', hoping you can answer this question, even though it is not directly elated to your forum. I am confused over reading accounts of prominent bishops and cardinals stating that it may be possible for the church to recognize civil unions. It seems a contradiction according to 2003 Vatican guidlines, but what really confuses me is that why is it necessary for the Church to give any type of support to these unions. Civil unions may be heterosexual or homosexual, but both living arrangements, if sexual, are not in accord in Catholic morality. So then, why are some church leaders confusing the faithful by stating support for such unions? This baffles me! Thank you. dm

Dear DM

You and I know that there are Bishops and Cardinals who opine about questions that suggest a division between what Catholic doctrine is and what their viewpoint is. Civil Unions is one of those topics.

To be clear: there is a Vatican document at http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfai th_doc_20030731_homosexual-unions_en.html

In this document it states: The Church teaches that respect for homosexual persons cannot lead in any way to approval of homosexual behaviour or to legal recognition of homosexual unions. The common good requires that laws recognize, promote and protect marriage as the basis of the family, the primary unit of society. Legal recognition of homosexual unions or placing them on the same level as marriage would mean not only the approval of deviant behaviour, with the consequence of making it a model in present-day society, but would also obscure basic values which belong to the common inheritance of humanity. The Church cannot fail to defend these values, for the good of men and women and for the good of society itself.