Cremation
Question from Mary on 5/29/2013:

Dear Judie, In reference to the gentleman who asked about cremation and scattering his ashes. I believe that you were correct that cremation is acceptable, but you may have errored in not telling him that scattering of the ashes is not ok. I was under the impression that the ashes must still be buried. As they are the body, they are to be respected in anticipation of the resurrection. Thank you.

Mary

Mary

I cannot find a resource for the question of scattering ashes in the Catholic Catechism but did find a clarification on the Catholic Culture website. You are correct. I have changed my response to the man who asked the question.

Judie