Terrible commercials...
Question from michele on 9/29/2013:

Just how misleading is this commercial? Of course this pill is an abortificant,(which the commercial itself denies), as it prevents a fertilized ovum(a BABY) from implanting itself in the lining of the uterus and thus being able to SURVIVE. I saw it while watching tv with my 17 year old daughter who said to me, "Wow... just think of how many teenage girls are going to see this and decide to have sex because they have a backup option to 'prevent' an otherwise unwanted pregnancy." How horrible. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAEq7_NTltk

Michele

Yes, we have a cultural impasse. The Catholic message is all but lost, even on most Catholics.

This is why I love this quote from Archbishop Chaput, which he wrote as part of his analysis of Pope Francis' recent interview:

Among the many vital things the Pope reminds us of in his interview is the new and drastically different condition of the modern world that God seeks to save. It’s one thing to argue about abortion and sexuality when both disputants in the debate share the same basic moral framework and language; the same meaning to words like “justice;” the same set of beliefs about the nature of the human person. But it’s quite another thing when we no longer have that common vocabulary. The modern world is mission territory. It’s morally fractured. Our politics, as Alasdair MacIntyre once famously wrote, is civil war pursued by other means. The modern heart can only be won back by a radical witness of Christian discipleship – a renewed kind of shared community life obedient to God’s Commandments, but also on fire with the Beatitudes lived more personally and joyfully by all of us.

You might want to read the whole article: http://catholicphilly.com/2013/09/think- tank/weekly-message-from-archbishop-chaput/pope-francis-and-the-interview/

Judie