Girl Scouts
Question from anonymous on 11/19/2013:

Hello, Would you please let me know the Church's position on Scouting? I called our local council today and was given the information that they do not advocate either way on prolife vs prochoice. They do not support Planned Parenthood directly. I did more research and found that Waggs does partner with a group that has given grants to Planned Parenthood. My question is do I really need to pull my children from Scouts. I have been a leader for over 15 years and this is the first I have ever heard of this. It never came from any of the literature I have used to guide the girls. There is a Girl Scout Sunday in the Catholic Church. I am very confused on this. I have lived and seen the benefit the Girl Scout experience has provided 3 of my own girls. Can you please provide some guidance. Thank you for your time!

Dear Anonymous

The Catholic CHurch does not take a position on organizations per se. The Church defines the teachings of Christ and the magisterium of the Church reflects the principles that help us make sound decisions.

On the subject of the Girl Scouts and the most recent BAD NEWS about the organization, please see http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/girl-scouts-and- reproductive-rights-its-no-laughing-matter

Judie