Funeral Mass
Question from Emma on 5/28/2014:

I was shocked when making a call to my parents' parish to tell them that my parents are in a nursing home and ask what services might be available. I was told that my parents have not donated in the last 18 months. We were told that they "must donate" in order to remain parishioners and then they could have a funeral held upon their death. I was shocked. They helped build that parish, donated countless hours of time, and in their time of need, it comes down to money! I am trying to keep composure, but this is not the Catholic faith I am part of.

Emma--

I am so sorry that you received such a disturbing report of requirements for pastoral care and funeral arrangements. I urge you to make an appointment with the pastor to lay out your concerns to him, making certain to emphasize that your parents are longstanding, founding members of his parish, and that you are certain that the front office must not have taken that into account when listing prerequisites for care and services for parishioners.

If the pastor is not immediately remorseful and does not pledge to correct any misinformation, then call the diocese. If the diocese will not help, call the St. Joseph Foundation, an apostolate that specializes in matters of canon law. I can assure you that the actions of one parish are not representative of the Church as a whole. God bless.