Commander and Chief
Question from Joseph A. Apicella on 11-21-2012:

As one who voted for Obama, I believe some on these websites have gone to far. I was reluctant to write since I am a Lutheran. I was a member of the Latin rite of the Catholic Church. Another forum refers to people like me as lapsed Catholics or excommunicated Catholics. If you believe I have no standing to object please ignore this query. I believe nothing is accomplished by damning those who voted for Obama. As an officer in the Armed Services he is your Commander. He is the President of the United States and all Americans. The Bible teaches us to respect those in authority over us. No one is forcing Catholics to abort or use contraceptives, that is their choice.

Answer by Fr. John Echert on 11-21-2012:

President Obama is so radical that he was one of the few Senators who sought to insure born alive babies who survived abortion could be murdered outside the womb. Tell me what distinguishes this view towards destrying innocent life from that of Hitler and his extermination of Catholics and Jews? Shame on you for your vote. I disrespect what he stands for and did all in my legal and pastoral power to manifest this widely.