Divorce: Request for scriptural advice and guidance
Question from TL on 12-05-2012:

Father Echert, I am divorced and I am seeking reconciliation with my ex-husband, however,my ex-husband feels that divorce is final. Please let me know, does scripture offer any hope for us? Scripture says to "ask and you shall receive". If I ask the Lord to re-unite me and my husband, shouldn't the Lord respond favourably?

Answer by Fr. John Echert on 12-12-2012:

In the Old Testament period, divorce was allowed and it was permanent. Things have changed in the New Testament. Our Lord and the Church only allow civil divorce (in effect, a legal separation) but remarriage is not allowed. Furthermore, Saint Paul wrote that those separated had two choices: remain unmarried or reconfcile with your spouse. As he wrote in 1 Cor 7:

10c To the married, however, I give this instruction (not I, but the Lord): A wife should not separate from her husband 11—and if she does separate she must either remain single or become reconciled to her husband—and a husband should not divorce his wife.

Do offer this prayer for reconciliation to the Lord. He will hear your prayer and may grace and guide your husband, though God will not force his free will. Lets hope for the best for your reunion.