Holy Eucharist
Question from Ananymous on 01-12-2013:

For many years at our Church,the substance used for the Holy Eucharistic Bread has been a 1/2" thick bread that is made by various people in our parish.Over the past year or so I began to question why this type of bread is used while every other Church that I would attend were using the thin round wafer for the Eucharist Bread. Some answers that I got from a few faithful Catholics from other churchs and 2 other parish Priests actually is that the substance used could prevent from becoming valid matter (Holy Eucharist Bread).Needless to say I have been very concerned and distraught about this possibility. 2 people plus the priest get up at the alter to break the bread into small pieces for serving. 4-5 months ago at the end of Holy Mass I noticed a few small portions of consecrated bread had been left on the Alter table.Because of the rush after Mass I decided to call the Priest when I got home and he said he would look after it. About a month or so ago I saw a few crumbs of this consecrated bread again left on the Alter after Mass. and notified one of the extraordinary Eucharistic ministers , in which case she went and removed the portions.During a weekly Mass i asked our priest why they use thyis type of bread, he said it was because it gives a number of people a chance to partake in this bread making ministry. Recently while receiving the Holy Eucharist in my hand a small portion ( crumb )fell between my fingers to the floor so I bent down to pick it up could not see it but I noticed a small piece on the floor that someone before me had dropped and had been walked on. I picked It up and consumed it at my seat. Please give me some answers and direction as to my grave concerns.

Answer by Richard Geraghty on 03-04-2013:

Dear Anon,

The Church requires that unleavened bread be used for the Eucharist, not regular leavened bread. This is a serious matter. It should be brought to the attention of the proper authorities, which in this case would be the Pastor or even the Bishop.