Hysterectomy
Question from Robyn on 11-16-2013:

I want to know if it's wrong to have a hysterectomy for health reasons. I have had 2 doctors tell me I need one and my spiritual director also says I need to listen to them and have one. I have other catholics who say different. I'm having problems with a tumor that's growing and squishing my bladder. The tumor has grown from a 3 month old baby to a 4-1/2 month old baby in 9 months. I have to go see the doctor again next week for I guess the final decision. I'm scared I'm committing a mortal sin if I get it.

Dear Robyn

I sent your question to Anthony Dardano, MD, FACOG and this is his response:

The decision for hysterectomy, or any surgery for that matter, is based on sound clinical indications. While I do not know the particulars of your case, I am assuming you have a fibroid tumor of the uterus which is probably causing pain and bleeding. Your description of its size, as it is compared to a uterus which is 3 months pregnant, shows the tumor is large and growing. This certainly is a valid indication for the surgery. You certainly may proceed with the surgery with a clear conscience as there is no sin involved.

May God bless you four your good intentions.

Anthony N Dardano, MD, FACS, FACOG