Responding to same-sex marriage
Question from Anon on 12-23-2013:

How is one to react when we are eventually confronted with a legally married same-sex couple? Do we say "Oh, good for you" or tell them that a marriage is a union between a man and a woman?

Anon--

It depends on what you mean by being "confronted." If you are introduced to a couple (e.g., "I'd like you to meet Nick and his husband Rick") there is no need to acknowledge the "marriage." Just greet them, shake hands, and engage in pleasant conversation. On the other hand, if Nick announces his "marriage" to you (e.g., "Rick and I eloped!"), then your response depends on how close you are to one or both parties. If you are a relative or close friend, then you need to discern the best way to express your understanding of marriage. But if you are being told this by a casual friend, acquaintance, or colleague, you need merely murmur politely, "Thank you for sharing your news. I wish you well." If said without the hearty and excited "Congratulations, I'm so happy for you!" with which people usually respond to an announcement of marriage, your lack of enthusiasm will be statement enough of your thoughts on the matter.