Recitation of the Hail Mary
Question from Sister Delrose on 06-11-2014:

Is it proper to say, "Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you, blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus"? I feel it is not following the dictates of Liturgian Authenticam when it asks us not to change the original wording. Am I correct?

Sister Delrose--

The words thee, thou, and thy are more antiquated English forms for you and your. While English-speaking individuals are free to use the antiquated forms if they choose, updating to a more modern English usage for the same words is not forbidden. What the Church cautions against is changing the words to some other words that do not mean the same thing; it is not forbidding using a modern form of the exact same word that means the same as the original.

For example, a true change in the Hail Mary, a change that alters approved wording offered by the Church and therefore to be avoided (especially in public recitations of the rosary), might read something like this:

Hi, graced Mary! You and the Lord are together, and you're so blessed! And so is your child, Jesus!"