THE POPE APPOINTS NINETEEN NEW CARDINALS
Vatican City, 12 January 2014 (VIS) - Following today's Angelus prayer, Pope Francis announced that on 22 February, feast of the Chair of St. Peter, a consistory will be held during which 19 new cardinals will be appointed. They will comprise 16 electors and 3 archbishops emeritus, from twelve different countries from all over the world, and "represent the deep ecclesial relationship between the Church of Rome and the other Churches throughout the world". The day after the consistory, the Holy Father will preside at a solemn concelebration with the new Cardinals, while on February 20 and 21 he will hold a consistory with all the cardinals to reflect on the theme of the family.
- Archbishop Pietro Parolin, secretary of State.
- Archbishop Lorenzo Baldisseri, secretary general of the Synod of Bishops
- Archbishop Gerhard Ludwig Muller, emeritus of Regensburg, Germany, prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.
- Archbishop Beniamino Stella, prefect of the Congregation for the Clergy.
- Archbishop Vincent Nichols of Westminster, Great Britain.
- Archbishop Leopoldo Jose Brenes Solorzano of Managua, Nicaragua.
- Archbishop Gerald Cyprien Lacroix of Quebec, Canada.
- Archbishop Jean-Pierre Kutwa of Abidjan, Cote D'Ivoire.
- Archbishop Orani Joao Tempesta, O. Cist. of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Archbishop Gualtiero Bassetti of Perugia-Citta della Pieve, Italia.
- Archbishop Mario Aurelio Poli of Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Archbishop Andrew Yeom Soo jung of Seoul, Korea.
- Archbishop Ricardo Ezzati Andrello, S.D.B. of Santiago del Chile, Chile.
- Archbishop Philippe Nakellentuba Ouedraogo of Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
- Archbishop Orlando B. Quevedo, O.M.I. of Cotabato, Philippines.
- Archbishop Chibly Langlois of Les Cayes, Haiti.
The three archbishops emeritus are:
- Archbishop Loris Francesco Capovilla, ex prelate of the Shrine of Loreto and ex personal secretary of Blessed John XXIII.
- Archbishop Fernando Sebastian Aguilar, C.M.F. emeritus of Pamplona, Spain.
- Archbishop Kelvin Edward Felix, emeritus of Castries, Saint Lucia.
Back to List